Welcome to SweetVine! This is collection of food ideas, crafts, home decore, design and inspiration! Look around and enjoy!

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Small Living

When Rob and I decided to move to Seattle, we knew finding a good apartment that we could afford was going to be a challenge. The place we lived in in North Carolina was 1000 sq. ft., old, dingy (like, ceiling caving in dingy) and in a very unsafe apartment complex. I hated it. So when we talked about what we wanted in a new place, safety was my number one concern. After that, I was really hoping for some place nice and new, clean, bug-free, that I would enjoy coming home too. We realized that we actually cared least about, and the only thing the old place had going for it, was size.

That's how we came to find our 326 sq. ft. apartment. Our families thought we were kind of insane to think that Rob and I, and our black lab, would fit into an apartment that small. And the fact that we signed the lease sight-unseen while still in North Carolina probably didn't help our case.

But I was sold on it. It had hardwood floors, a kitchen with limestone countertops and stainless-steel appliances.  There was a beautiful roof-top garden and grill area, with it's own fenced in dog space! There was a common lobby with a pool table, couches, and a work-out facility! I knew we would love it.

And we did! The building was everything I had dreamed about, and the apartment, though small, was beautiful. A trip to IKEA, and a very large shipment of boxes from North Carolina, and we were set up.

Rob and I talk a lot about the apartment, and we both love it. I don't feel I could ever go back to having excess space. We have room for everything we need, no more and no less. We dream of owning a home some day, and we talk about how small it's going to be! Small living has changed my perception on almost everything. But most importantly, it makes me so aware of how amazing my little family is. And the truth is, I would never want to be farther than 326 sq. ft. away from them.










No comments:

Post a Comment